Engineers Without Borders Canada
Reporting to the Africa Program Manager, this role provides program support and coordination of Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)’s Fellowships initiatives in Ghana. This is a remote work opportunity that primarily supports EWB Canada’s engagement in West Africa. Some travel within Ghana may be required.
– Full Time, 40 hours per week
– Initially this is a 6 month contract from November 2021 – April 2022
– An extension from May to October 2022 is possible, subject to funding availability
– Position is based in Accra, Ghana.
– Successful candidate must be a Ghanaian Resident
Compensation and benefits, based on a 12-month engagement
(all figures in Canadian Dollars):
– CDN $35,000 per year
– Up to 15 days vacation + Ghana statutory holidays + office closure over Christmas & New Year
– Up to CDN $1500.00 in Professional Development Allowance
– Up to CDN $100 per month Phone and Internet reimbursement
– Up to CDN $700.00 provided for technical equipment purchase
– Up to CDN $1500.00 Health Insurance Allowance
Background on EWB:
We are a global community of young leaders who use inquiry and ingenuity to transform the flawed economic systems that allow poverty and inequality to persist. We invest in and support social enterprises that can drive lasting, transformational impact within communities that need it most. We advocate for policy innovations that address the root causes of poverty and inequality. We develop a community of systems change leaders who have the capacity to solve the world’s most complex problems by tackling them together.
Technical Focus of the Role:
The role of the Ghana Program Manager will be to work closely with our Africa Program Manager to support and contribute to the promotion of decent employment and entrepreneurship for youths in Ghana, including technical advice, capacity building, knowledge development, partnership development and communication.
The successful candidate will apply a strong combination of program leadership and relationship-building skills with an outstanding ability to contribute to program execution, influence and impact across a set of complex contexts. With a high capacity to deliver results under tight deadlines with multiple priorities.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Training: (40%)
– Be responsible for the effective management and delivery of the fellow’s recruitment process in Ghana ensuring procedures are followed in a timely and efficient manner. This will involve arranging interviews, liaising with the relevant teams and line managers within EWB to ensure the smooth running of recruitment campaigns, issuing offers and processing contracts and ensuring that eligibility to work information is checked and kept on file.
– Develop and facilitate trainings on skills development programs for productivity, and other ways of skills building for youth and providing one-on-one support to job seekers
Deliverable; successful matching and placement of 20 individuals within partner organisations in Ghana
Partnership development and engagement: (30%)
– Develop and implement a Partnership Strategy optimizing relationships with partners that are key for advancing EWB’s overall strategic goals – these include growth stage social enterprises, local government, civil society organizations, businesses and industries, EWB Canada national office stakeholders and other NGO’s in the region;
– Identify and partner with 1 – 2 Universities in Ghana for the Canada-Africa Innovation Fellowship (CAIF) Ghana Pilot.
– Collaborate with existing and new partners in Ghana to identify interventions that support the Projects’ objectives.
Deliverable; successful identification and partnership with 20 social enterprises and at least 1 university in Ghana
Knowledge management (20%)
– Create and raise awareness of the Program in order to identify potential partners;
– Conduct visits to Program areas and to gather information and dialogue with partners to identify gaps and/or areas for improvement in project implementation;
– Collect and manage lessons learnt to strengthen implementation in current and future rollout countries;
Programming support (10%)
– Participates in activities fostering the inclusion and mainstreaming of decent employment priorities and opportunities for rural youth in sub-Saharan Africa, and contributes to developing and expanding partnerships with other agencies such as the African Union, Regional Economic Communities, Governments, Civil Society Organizations, academia, and other development partners at the regional and national level;
– Supporting other EWB programming in Ghana.
– Undertake any other duties as reasonably delegated by your line manager
Skills and Requirements:
– University degree in political science, economics, institutional development, social anthropology, rural development, labour law, or other relevant social sciences, related to capacity building in relation to decent employment or equivalent combination of education and experience;
– Relevant 3-5 years’ work experience in workforce development or youth inclusive programs, including experience related to promoting youth employment;
– Experience developing and facilitating training and workshops focusing on improving service delivery.
– Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills in English.
– Experience in an international setting and fluency in French are strong assets, though not essential.
– Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and meet multiple deadlines;
– Able to work well both within a team and independently, in a challenging and fast-moving multicultural environment.
– Experience of managing and developing relationships/partnerships with development and private sector organizations, NGOs, etc; Knowledge of multilateral donors rules, regulations, procedures and reporting requirements such as for Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, Global Affairs Canada, etc. is an asset.
What’s it like to work at EWB?
Our culture is one of passion, entrepreneurship, pragmatism, thoughtfulness, dedication and hard work. We have a strong commitment to excellence and achieving results. Our leaders, staff, and volunteers are dynamic with a positive outlook. We blend a passion to change the world with pragmatism.
Diversity, Inclusion and Gender Equality
EWB embraces diverse cultures, heritages, experiences and opinions in efforts to enrich our programs and foster inclusive decision making. EWB is committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free employment free from discrimination, and to hiring diverse candidates.
EWB believes that gender discrimination is a root cause of global poverty and economic inequality, and the achievement of gender equality is integral to our mission of achieving systemic change and creating a more just society. We seek to achieve a vision of a more equitable society, inherent to which is the enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, class, ethnicity, disability, age or another status.
Equal Employment Opportunity
EWB is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Closing Date : 16th Oct. 2021
Engineers Without Borders Canada
IGEA GHANA is a non-governmental organization that works to create opportunities for under-privileged girls and young women in Ghana. IGEA Ghana...Apply For This Job
Technical Officer Jobs Ghana has made major strides in improving access to health services. Despite these improvements, Ghana did not...Apply For This Job
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe...Apply For This Job
lan International in partnership with Instiglio and the Jacobs Foundation will implement the Education Outcome Fund Programme (EOF) under the...Apply For This Job
We, Jhpiego are currently looking for dynamic individuals to fill the following position of Program Manager Duration of Contract: May...Apply For This Job