Agricultural Jobs in Ghana Jobs
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Regional Office for Africa leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with offices, centres and divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by SDG 1 No poverty, SDG 2 No hunger, and SDG 10 Reducing inequalities. In addition to supporting FAO’s work in Members’ countries, RAF develops and maintains strategic partnerships with continental organizations, such as the African Union Commission and Regional Economic Communities (RECs). At policy level, RAF supports countries to develop strategies, policies and regulatory frameworks as well as supports regional and country policy dialogues that sustain efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems. RAF also facilitates partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Senior Animal Production and Health Officer reports to the Regional Programme Leader under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative. He/she will work in consultation with other Technical Officers, the Officers in charge of South-South and Triangular Cooperation, the Partnerships and UN Collaboration both at HQ and in RAF
Technical leadership and supervision for FAO RAF’s programme of work on sustainable agrifood production systems with specific responsibility for leading the programme area on animal production systems and One Health platforms and actions. He/she will be responsible for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of RAF’s work programme related to animal production systems and One Health and the interactions with other components of sustainable agrifood production systems including crops, fisheries and aquaculture as well as with food and nutrition systems, climate action and sustainable natural resources management, building resilience and improving livelihoods. The Senior Animal Production and Health Officer will lead RAF’s activities for strengthening partnership and knowledge networks within and outside the Organization, supporting country-level actions guided by FAO’s Country Programming Framework (CPF) as well as increasing South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Regional Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with regional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives and in alignment with the Organization’s Gender Policy.
• Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multidisciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates in regional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Analyses global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
• Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
• Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or ongoing programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
• Provides technical and policy advice to Members and technical support to Decentralized Offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
• Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities with Members such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
• Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Provides vision and strategic thinking on sustainable agrifood production systems for the development and implementation of the work programme in Africa, with focus on the following: animal production systems; inclusive value chain development; One Health platforms and actions; and the Sustainable Development Goals;
• Provides technical expertise on strategies and approaches as well as guidance on technologies and innovations in animal production and health for sustainable food production and productivity, development of inclusive value chains and building resilience towards ending poverty;
• Leads FAO RAF programme of work on animal production systems and One Health platforms and actions (planning, implementation, delivery, monitoring and evaluation);
• Work with other Thematic Regional Priority Leaders and Programme Leaders to coordinate activities related to the FAO Africa Regional Initiative on Sustainable Production and Inclusive Value Chains;
• Provides technical support and policy advice to Members in the implementation of FAO’s regional initiatives, thematic and programme priorities and activities in the formulation and implementation of activities under the UN Cooperation Framework;
• Coordinates FAO’s technical inputs and represents the (RAF) Regional Office for Africa on animal production and One Health related matters in engagements with governments, Continental Organizations, such as the African Union Commission, Regional Economic Commissions, interagency initiatives, development finance institutions, development partners and national and regional stakeholders;
• Leads RAF resource mobilization and partnership activities on animal production systems and One Health related work;
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in veterinary medicine, veterinary science, animal science or related field
• Ten years of relevant experience in animal health, infectious disease management, including regulatory aspects, standard setting, and one health approaches
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of knowledge or experience in infectious disease management and in multidisciplinary approaches (theoretical and practical) to disease prevention and management
• Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes related to animal health in development organizations
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources
• Extent and relevance of experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Closing Date : 7 Oct. 2021
Agricultural Jobs in Ghana Jobs
AMG-FARMS is looking for an experienced person for the position of ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN. The person MUST be living or willing to live in Kwamoso...Apply For This Job
Feed the Future Ghana Trade and Investment Activity (GTI) is a 5-year project aimed at growing and diversifying exports to...Apply For This Job
The Food Crops and Agriculture Officer will provide technical and field level support to facilitate increased agricultural productivity for MEDA’s Women Small Holder Farmer...Apply For This Job
Are you looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and multicultural environment? Do you have a proven experience in this...Apply For This Job
Agresearch Lead is an organization with wide range of expertise conducting project evaluations for International Clients in Ghana and beyond....Apply For This Job
Office/Unit/Project Description The United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) makes public and private finance work for the poor in the...Apply For This Job